- 2017 Moonbeam Children's Book Awards Results
- Have a Holly Jolly Editing Season
- Mysteries Featuring Strong Women Protagonists
- My Top 10 Mermaid Books
- The Ultimate Grammar Cheat Sheet
- Book Lover's Shopping Guide
- IPPY Holidays
- Indie Groundbreaking Bookseller: Bookselling without Borders
- Indie Groundbreaking Book: Ask
- From the Tech Desk
California Mystery Author's Debut Mystery Book Nominated for Three Major Awards
Los Angeles area author Kris Neri has been nominated for three major mystery awards for Best First Novel.Los Angeles area author Kris Neri has been nominated for three major mystery awards for Best First Novel for her 1999 release, Revenge of the Gypsy Queen (Rainbow Books, Inc. ISBN 1-56825-043-6). The three award nominations are:
- AGATHA Award for Best First Mystery, voted by attendees of the Malice Domestic Convention.
- ANTHONY Award for Best First Mystery, voted by attendees of the Bouchercon International Mystery Convention.
- MACAVITY Award for Best First Novel, voted by attendees of the Mystery Readers International.
Revenge of the Gypsy Queen features Tracy Eaton - mystery writer, detective wannabe and the offspring of eccentric Hollywood stars - a heroine as impulsive, energetic and imaginative as the city that shaped her. The quintessential industry brat, Tracy is both a product of her background and its most droll critic.
The character was introduced in Neri's humorous Derringer Award winning story, "L.A. Justice" (Murder by Thirteen). She'll soon make two new short story appearances in "L.A. Memorial" (Dead on Arrival/Gerstenberg, Germany) and "Beverly Hills Halloween" (Murderous Intent Mystery Magazine).
Neri has published more than forty short stories in such publications as Woman's World, TheCase.com, Blue Murder Magazine, Murderous Intent Mystery Magazine, Mystery Time, Crimestalker Casebook and many others. Her story, "Capital Justice," which took a dark, edgy look at the convoluted path justice must sometime follow in the City of the Angels, also won a Derringer Award for Best Short Story.
"This is a great breakthrough for independents," said Rainbow Books Inc. publisher Betsy Lampe. "There are a lot of independent mystery publishers out there, and as with other genres, there's been a glass ceiling on award nominations. We're really proud of Kris and Revenge of the Gypsy Queen."